Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Observation 4

This week was a weird week. I saw a lot more organisms than I ever had before. There were organisms everywhere, but the weird thing was that I was only able to identify two new organisms. I saw all kinds of Thachelophyllum's and Vorticella's, but I have already identified those organisms. The first new organism I was able to identify was a Midge (Pond II). The Midge was a very large organism that was bigger than the screen on 10x. It had two large black eyes, two antenna's, and a multitude of legs. It appears as if it is broken up into segments (possibly an outer shell). The Midge stays in the plants and eats on them. It did not move much when I was watching it. The second organism I was able to identify was an Epistylis (Patterson). They were kind of boring. They stayed in the open space and did not move. I do not have a lot to say about them because they did not do much. The pictures I saw of them showed them in colonies, but these were by themselves.
Bibliography

Patterson, D.J. 1996. Free Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide. Manson Publishing NY.


No comments:

Post a Comment